Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Admissions & Records:

Assembly Bill (AB)540:

Resident status exemption for certain category of students

In 2001 the California legislature passed a law (AB 540) that exempts certain categories of students from paying nonresident tuition. To be eligible you must have competed at least three years of high school and have graduated (or earned a high school equivalency) while living and attending school in California.

The three eligible populations are:

  • currently undocumented immigrants;
  • previously documented students on a "nonimmigrant alien" visa who have taken actions to correct their status; and
  • U.S. citizens who are returning to California after having graduated at some point in the past, left the state, but are now returning to college in California.

The law allows U.S. citizens who met the AB 540 requirements to be charged the resident rate of tuition without meeting the one year and one day requirement to reestablish residency.

If you feel you may be eligible, download and fill out the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request and turn it in to the Office of Admissions and Records for consideration. If you have questions you may talk to a residency evaluator by calling 949.451.5220 or email your question to the Office of Admissions and Records.


T:  949-451-5220
O: Student Services Center

Regular Office Hours

Office Hours

Monday:​  9 am - 6 pm​
​Tuesday: ​ 9 am - 6 pm
​Wednesday: ​ 9 am - 6 pm
​Thursday:  9 am - 6 pm
​Friday: 9 am - Noon