Prerequisites and Corequisites
Prerequisites are established because mastery of a certain body of knowledge is essential for students to be successful in a course. Prerequisites are most commonly satisfied by successful completion of the prerequisite course.
Corequisites (simultaneous) enrollment in (or prior successful completion of) a companion course is required. The information presented or the practice gained in the corequisite course is considered necessary for success in both courses.
Some courses are designated with recommended prerequisites. These recommendations indicate preparation that is considered highly advantageous—but not essential to success in the course.
Clearing Prerequisites with AP Scores and Coursework from Other Colleges
Students may submit a Request to Clear Prerequisite form with support documents (complete college transcripts or AP Score Reports, unofficial
copies accepted) to the Office of Admissions and Records (SSC 110) or
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are required to demonstrate that they have successfully completed prerequisites before enrolling. Students can meet prerequisites in one of the following ways:
- Successful completion (A, B, C, or Pass/Credit) of the prerequisite at an accredited college or university.
- Successful completion of AP Exams (see College Catalog for details).
- Taken the IVC Assessment for Math, English, and ESL courses.
- Prior documented knowledge, experience, and/or skills required to succeed in the course. (Requests of this type are submitted to discipline faculty for review.)
Math and English Assessment Test for Matriculation
- Math and English courses from other colleges completed with a C or better that are equivalent to IVC Math and English courses
- AP Calculus AB/BC and Statistics tests scores of 3 or better
- AP English Language & Composition test scores of 4 or better
Requests will be decided within 5 working days. Students will be notified once their request has been processed via email. Results are posted to MySite. To view results go to My Information, Matriculation, Assessment and Placement.
Students may challenge perquisites and/or corequisites for any of the following reasons:
- The prerequisite or corequisite has not been established in accordance with the District’s process for establishing prerequisites or corequisites.
- The prerequisite or corequisite is in violation of the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, § 55201.
- The prerequisite or corequisite is either unlawfully discriminatory or applied in an unlawful or discriminatory manner.
- You will be subject to undue delay in attaining your educational goal because the prerequisite or corequisite course has not been made reasonably available.
- You possess prior knowledge and/or skills required to succeed in a prerequisite course.