Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Admissions & Records:

Reclassification to Resident Status

Based on information you provided on your Application for Admission, you may have been classified as a nonresident of the state of California. Nonresident students are required to pay a higher rate of tuition in addition to the standard enrollment fees. To gain reclassification to resident status, please read the following information regarding residency for the California's Community Colleges carefully. Ensure you submit all required supporting documentation to assist us in making a favorable determination in your case.

Unfortunately, the following visa status holders cannot establish residency regardless of the length of time in California: B-1, B-2, C, D-1, D-2, F-1, F-2, H-2, H-3, J-1, J-2, M-1, M-2, O-2, P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4, Q, and TN/TD. Undocumented and out-of-status immigrants are also prohibited from establishing residency. If you fall under any of these categories, we are unable to change your residency status. However, under the guidelines of AB 540, undocumented immigrants may be granted a waiver of nonresident tuition. See the AB 540 section of this web page to determine if you may apply for this exemption.

In order to be eligible for California residency, you must be a United States (U.S.) citizen or hold a U.S. Immigration status that does not preclude you from establishing residency (see the list above). Under California law, you may be considered a resident if you have both:

  • Lived in California continuously for at least one year and one day before the semester begins, and
  • Proved you intended to make California your new permanent home of residence. The following actions are considered as elements of establishing proof of your intent to become a California resident:
    • Filing California income tax as a resident (the complete Tax Form 540 must be provided)
    • California employment (provide certification of employment by means of a formal letter from your employer or pay stubs for the previous year)
    • Registering to vote and voting in California
    • Ownership of residential property or occupancy of rented or leased property in California
    • Licensing from California for professional practice
    • Possessing California motor vehicle registration
    • Establishing and maintaining active California bank accounts
    • Filing a lawsuit in California as a resident
    • Possessing a California driver's license or ID Card
    • Maintaining permanent military address or home of record in California while in armed forces

If you feel you are eligible for California residency based on the above information:

  • Download and complete the California Residency Reclassification Questionnaire
  • Provide copies of as many documents to support the elements of intent listed above. These documents will be used as the basis for your claim of residency. Remember, these documents must show intent for at least one year and one day before the semester begins.
  • Non-citizens must provide copies of their resident alien card or current visa.
  • Submit the questionnaire and copies of all of your documents to the Office of Admissions and Records. You will be contacted with the results of your residency review within approximately ten business days.

If you feel you are NOT eligible to establish residency at this time but may be eligible for residency in the future:

You may elect to file the California Residency Reclassification Questionnaire at any time in the future should you become eligible and have accumulated the necessary proof of residency. It is your responsibility to submit the IVC California Residency Reclassification Questionnaire, with the appropriate supporting documentation, when you become eligible for reclassification. Please remember that California law requires that the burden of proof to establish California residency rests' with the student. If you have questions you may talk to a residency evaluator by calling 949.451.5220 or email your question to the Office of Admissions and Records.


T:  949-451-5220
O: Student Services Center

Regular Office Hours

Office Hours

Monday:​  9 am - 6 pm​
​Tuesday: ​ 9 am - 6 pm
​Wednesday: ​ 9 am - 6 pm
​Thursday:  9 am - 6 pm
​Friday: 9 am - Noon