Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Admissions & Records:


If you feel you are eligible for California residency based on the below information:

  • Download and complete the California Residency Reclassification Questionnaire.
  • Provide copies of as many documents to support the elements of intent listed above. These documents will be used as the basis for your claim of residency. Remember, these documents must show intent for at least one year and one day before the semester begins.
  • Non-citizens must provide copies of their resident alien card or current visa.
  • Submit the questionnaire and copies of all of your documents to the Office of Admissions and Records. You will be contacted with the results of your residency review within approximately ten business days.

If you feel you are NOT eligible to establish residency at this time but may be eligible for residency in the future:

You may elect to file the California Residency Reclassification Questionnaire at any time in the future should you become eligible and have accumulated the necessary proof of residency. It is your responsibility to submit the IVC California Residency Reclassification Questionnaire, with the appropriate supporting documentation, when you become eligible for reclassification. Please remember that California law requires that the burden of proof to establish California residency rests' with the student. If you have questions you may talk to a residency evaluator by calling 949.451.5220 or email your question to the Office of Admissions and Records.

AB 540

In 2001 the California legislature passed a law (AB 540) that exempts certain categories of students from paying nonresident tuition. To be eligible you must have competed at least three years of high school and have graduated (or earned a high school equivalency) while living and attending school in California.

The three eligible populations are:

  • • currently undocumented immigrants;
  • • previously documented students on a "nonimmigrant alien" visa who have taken actions to correct their status; and
  • • U.S. citizens who are returning to California after having graduated at some point in the past, left the state, but are now returning to college in California.

The law allows U.S. citizens who met the AB 540 requirements to be charged the resident rate of tuition without meeting the one year and one day requirement to reestablish residency.

If you feel you may be eligible, download and fill out the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request and turn it in to the Office of Admissions and Records for consideration. If you have questions you may talk to a residency evaluator by calling 949.451.5220 or email your question to the Office of Admissions and Records.


T:  949-451-5220
O: Student Services Center

Holiday Hours
Mon., December 18: 9 am - 6 pm
Tue., December 19: 9 am - 6 pm
Wed., December 20: 9 am - 6 pm

December 21 - January 1, 2018

Tue., January 2: 9 am - 5 pm
Wed, January 3: 9 am - 5 pm
Thu., January 4: 9 am - 5 pm

Fri., January 5: 9 am - Noon


Regular Office Hours

Monday:​  9 am - 6 pm​
​Tuesday: ​ 9 am - 6 pm
​Wednesday: ​ 9 am - 6 pm
​Thursday:  9 am - 6 pm
​Friday: ​ 9 am - Noon
Copyright © Irvine Valley College