English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment
English as a Second Language speakers attending Irvine Valley College for the first time are strongly encouraged to take the ESL assessment before enrolling in classes. IVC uses the Secondary Level English Proficiency (SLEP) test and a writing sample to determine the reading/writing and listening/speaking skills of ESL students.
The two parts of the SLEP are each 75 questions long and take approximately 85 minutes to complete. Students are then given 50 minutes to complete the writing sample. The total time for the ESL test is two hours and 45 minutes.
Academic Writing courses offered by the ESL department at IVC have been designed specifically for the bilingual student who needs support with Academic English to succeed in college-level work and beyond.
Students who have completed the SLEP may challenge the initial course placement by completing a locally developed and managed writing sample (paper-and-pencil) administered in IVC’s Assessment Center.
- ESL Assessment Preparation Material
- Schedule an English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment Appointment
Students must have an IVC Student ID Number and a current photo ID to enter the Assessment Center. Acceptable forms of identification include a Driver's License, High School ID Card, IVC ID card, student visa, or Permanent Resident Card. Photocopies and mobile images of IDs will not be accepted. Any student without a valid form of identification will not be allowed to assess.
Please remember to:
- Bring a valid photo ID and your IVC student ID number
- Be on time — NO LATE ARRIVALS ADMITTED (Room SSC 240)
- Please allow approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes for testing
- Call 949-451-5315 for questions or email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.