Irvine Valley College (IVC) recognizes that as a student you are making great efforts to continue your education in the face of uncertainty and challenges. Students and the colleges have all made admirable efforts to meet the challenges posed by the statewide emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, some students may still find it too challenging to complete their Spring 2020 courses, given their individual situations.
We would like to announce that the State of California has granted Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College the ability to allow students to withdraw from a course or courses and not receive a Withdrawal (“W”) grade. Students withdrawing due to the COVID-19 pandemic will receive an Excused Withdrawal (EW).
This is a substantially different type of grade for transfer purposes. An Excused Withdrawal (EW) is used to record a student’s withdrawal due to verifiable, documented reasons beyond the student’s control.
Students who wish to make an Excused Withdrawal (EW) request may do so by June 8, 2020.
This change is retroactive to March 16 as well. Students who dropped a course or courses starting on March 20 and received a “W” will have their grade changed to an “EW”.
HOW DO I SUBMIT FOR THE EXCUSED WITHDRAWAL (EW)?
To complete the Excused Withdrawal Due to COVID-19 form, please follow these instructions:
- Right click the form, select “Save as” and save the form onto your desktop
- Complete all the fields in the form
- Save the form with the following name: “Student ID#- Form Name” ex. 123456- General Petition
- Send the completed form through your district issued email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject heading for email: “Student ID#- Form Name” ex. 123456- General Petition
- After approximately 3-5 business days you may check the status of your submission on the Petitions tab of your MySite account
WHAT CAN I EXPECT IF I SUBMIT FOR AN EW?
- Students dropping their course(s) due to the COVID-19 pandemic will receive a refund of enrollment fees ($46/unit).
- The Student Payment Office (SC) or Bursar's Office (IVC) will contact you and guide you through the refund process.
COURSE COMPLETION/TRANSFER STATUS
- An EW grade for a course indicates that a student did not complete the course. If a course or courses are needed for admission to a transfer institution, it is recommended that students meet with a counselor to discuss the implications BEFORE deciding to drop any course(s).
- Students will not have their EW grade held against their completion ratio for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG).
- Students will not be required to repay the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) which was applied to their account and was based on their unit load prior to dropping courses.
- For more details, contact your campus Financial Aid office: