Irvine Valley College (IVC) recognizes that as a student you are making great efforts to continue your education in the face of uncertainty and challenges. Students and the colleges have all made admirable efforts to meet the challenges posed by the statewide emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, some students may still find it too challenging to complete their Fall 2020 courses, given their individual situations.
We would like to announce that the State of California has granted Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College the ability to allow students to withdraw from a course or courses and not receive a Withdrawal (“W”) grade. Students withdrawing due to the COVID-19 pandemic will receive an Excused Withdrawal (EW).
This is a substantially different type of grade for transfer purposes. An Excused Withdrawal (EW) is used to record a student’s withdrawal due to verifiable, documented reasons beyond the student’s control.
Students who wish to make an Excused Withdrawal (EW) request may do so by 6pm Monday, November 30, 2020.
The EW option is retroactive for the first 8-week session of the Fall 2020 and Summer 2020 term. EW requests for Spring 2020 terms wil not be approved.
HOW DO I SUBMIT FOR THE EXCUSED WITHDRAWAL (EW)?
To complete the Excused Withdrawal Due to COVID-19 form, please follow these instructions:
WHAT CAN I EXPECT IF I SUBMIT FOR AN EW?
- There is no refund for students dropping their course(s) due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
COURSE COMPLETION/TRANSFER STATUS
- An EW grade for a course indicates that a student did not complete the course. If a course or courses are needed for admission to a transfer institution, it is recommended that students meet with a counselor to discuss the implications BEFORE deciding to drop any course(s).
- Students will not have their EW grade held against their completion ratio for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG).
- Students will not be required to repay the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) which was applied to their account and was based on their unit load prior to dropping courses.
- For more details, contact your campus Financial Aid office: