At Irvine Valley College, students are subject to dismissal when they reach three consecutively enrolled semesters of probation in any combination of the two probation types:
- Academic Probation: Your cumulative grade point average was below 1.75 for your last three enrolled semesters.
- Progress Probation: Your total of W, No Pass/No Credit, or I grades after your last three enrolled semesters was above 50%.
- Dismissal blocks students from registration.
- It is a district-wide process, effective at IVC and Saddleback College.
- Students facing dismissal are notified by email after each semester.
- A dismissal warning applies after the fall semester and dismissal applies once each year after the spring semester.
- It is effective for the following fall semester.
Returning After Dismissal
To return after serving dismissal for one semester, a student must:
- Reapply to the college
- Call the Counseling Office at 949-451-5319 to set up an appointment with a counselor to review the readmission process and complete an Appeal of Dismissal Form and a Contract for Academic Success.
- After the counseling appointment, submit both forms along with any supporting documentation to the Office of Admissions and Records at email@example.com.
Since dismissal regards cumulative coursework, it may take several semesters to improve a dismissal situation. Students not in good academic standing will receive lower priority for registration in their next effective registration period and continuously until they reach good academic standing.
A student may only appeal dismissal under the following conditions if they:
- Have not attended IVC or Saddleback College for at least one semester
- Have successfully completed his/her most recent semester (received a grade of A,B,C, or Pass in all classes and no W or No Pass in any classes)
- Have documentation to support and extenuating circumstance (illness, accident or other circumstance beyond the student's control)
If a student meets one or more of the conditions above, they must:
- Meet with a counselor. Call the Counseling Office at 949-451-5319 to set up an appointment with a counselor to prepare readmission paperwork.
- Complete an Appeal of Dismissal Form and a Contract for Academic Success in the Dismissal Workshop.
- Submit both to the Office of Admissions and Records at firstname.lastname@example.org.